The FIDO Seoul Public Seminar, “Passkeys – Online Authentication Paradigm Shift,” was hosted on December 5, 2023, at the SK Telecom Headquarters in Seoul by SK Telecom’s developer community, DEVOCEAN. This marked yet another significant milestone in the journey towards simpler and stronger online authentication. The event drew an audience of over 200, showcasing a myriad of updates and advancements in the realm of passkeys.
[Pictures from 2023 FIDO Seoul Public Seminar]
The sessions, which included diverse case studies from Korea, USA, Vietnam, Malaysia, and other countries, offered attendees a comprehensive view of FIDO authentication and FIDO Device Onboard (FDO) implementations, presenting a unique blend of global insights and practical applications. We are excited to share highlights and recorded videos from some of the seminar’s pivotal sessions:
- FIDO Alliance Update – Passkey Tipping Point: Andrew Shikiar, Executive Director & CMO of the FIDO Alliance, discussed the rapid adoption and market interest in passkeys, underlining their potential to revolutionize online authentication. (Watch Video)
- KISIA-FIDO Alliance Collaboration Guide: Yeri Won, Department Head at KISIA, presented a new subsidized program for Korean small and medium enterprises that apply for FIDO certifications commencing in 2024. (Watch Video)
- The Beginning of the End of Passwords: Christiaan Brand from Google provided insights into Google’s strategy for implementing passkeys as a primary sign-in method. (Watch Video)
- Experience with Passkeys on Galaxy Devices: Samsung Electronics’ Passkey Task Force members, Jong Su Kim and Joon Suk Lee discussed the integration of passkeys in Galaxy devices, along with Samsung Pass and Samsung Internet Web Browser. (Watch Video)
- The Key to the Future: Understanding the Future Brought by Passkeys: Ki-Eun Shin, Principal Researcher at SK Telecom and leader of the FIDO Korea Working Group Technical Sub-Group, offered forward-looking perspectives on the application of passkeys in various Korean business sectors. (Watch Video)
This remarkable event garnered significant attention from various local media outlets, including ZDNet Korea, IT Daily, Data Net, Boan News, Daily Secu, and Byline Networks. Coverage by these media outlets highlighted the seminar’s forward-thinking approach, noting its potential to shape the future of online authentication. They emphasized a move towards less dependency on password and OTP-like, knowledge-based authentication methods, which are easy targets for cyber-attacks like phishing and credential stuffing.
We extend our deepest gratitude to all the distinguished speakers for their invaluable insights and contributions. Special thanks to Seungwon Shin, Vice President of the Security Team at Samsung Electronics, Heungyeol Yeom, Professor at Soonchunhyang University, Jaebeom Kim from TTA, Leewon Ye of KISIA, Yoo Seok Han from AirCuve, Chong Seak Sea of SecureMetric Malaysia, Jaehyung Lee from Octatco, Simon Trac Do of VinCSS Vietnam, Christiaan Brand of Google, Sang Jun Park from Microsoft, Jong Su Kim and Joon Suk Lee of Samsung Electronics, and Kieun Shin of SK Telecom.For additional details about the seminar agenda, please visit the 2023 FIDO Seoul Public Seminar landing page.