FIDO Alliance Launches Working Group to Expand the Use of FIDO Authentication Standards in Korea
SEOUL, DECEMBER 6, 2017 – The FIDO Alliance announced today the launch of the FIDO Korea Working Group to further accelerate awareness and adoption of the FIDO Authentication standards in the Korean marketplace. FIDO Authentication reduces industry reliance on passwords in favor of interoperable on-device authentication that is stronger and easier to use – thereby mitigating risk of data breaches and enabling Korean consumers to safely take part in the connected economy.
Since the launch of the FIDO Alliance, Korea has become a leading adopter of FIDO Authentication, and the country with the most companies receiving FIDO certification for their innovative products and solutions based on the specifications. The working group plans to leverage this momentum to engage locally with governments and enterprises to ensure that FIDO standards continue to be widely accepted and adopted across industries.
Executives from Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. and BC Card Co., Ltd., will chair the FIDO Korea Working Group. Executives from CrucialTec and Raonsecure will serve as co-chairs. Korean membership in the FIDO Alliance is expected to grow substantially as the pre-existing separate entity known as the FIDO Forum Korea is merged into the FIDO Korea Working Group in 2018.
“FIDO Authentication has had a fast start in Korea, and it is imperative that we continue that growth by engaging at the local level to ensure our standards address the evolving authentication needs of this innovative market. This new regional working group will better enable the Alliance to engage the newly-elected government that is particularly proactive on cybersecurity regulation and policy,” said Brett McDowell, executive director of the FIDO Alliance. “The mission here is to promote certified solutions, improve awareness, and collect regional requirements so all organizations have the opportunity to realize the benefits of FIDO Authentication.”
Activities planned for the FIDO Korea Working Group to spread and expand use of FIDO Authentication include:
- Facilitating communication and cooperation within the Korean authentication industry to promote deployment of FIDO-based solutions and improve awareness of the FIDO Alliance and FIDO Authentication.
- Collecting requirements from the Korean industry and government, and working closely with policy makers to assure that FIDO solutions can be certified while meeting regulatory requirements.
- Supporting and encouraging collaboration and information sharing among the Korean companies and organizations participating and/or interested in the FIDO Alliance.
- Developing and/or translating FIDO informational materials in Korean to accelerate broad understanding of the technology.
- Promoting global and local FIDO Alliance activities and meetings.
Any FIDO member with personnel and/or strategic interest in Korea is eligible to take part in the FIDO Korea Working Group. More information on how to take part in FIDO can be found at http://fidoalliance.org/participate/.
About the FIDO Alliance
The FIDO (Fast IDentity Online) Alliance, www.fidoalliance.org, was formed in July 2012 to address the lack of interoperability among strong authentication technologies, and remedy the problems users face with creating and remembering multiple usernames and passwords. The FIDO Alliance is changing the nature of authentication with standards for simpler, stronger authentication that define an open, scalable, interoperable set of mechanisms that reduce reliance on passwords. FIDO authentication is stronger, private, and easier to use when authenticating to online services.